Saturday, February 14, 2009

My First Quilting Experience!

In April of 2007, I visited my mom in Oregon for an extended weekend. We felt like doing something "crafty" and went to her local Craft Warehouse. My mom has been sewing most of her life, but I resisted tooth and nail growing up. When I saw all of the selection of fabrics and quilt designs I thought, "hey, we could do that!"
So, we bought a pattern, and selected fabrics for a lap quilt for my living room. Of course, we couldn't be happy with just that. My friend, Pam, was having a birthday and we decided that she needed one too! So, we selected fabrics for TWO lap quilts, using the same pattern. And we had about 2 or 3 days to finish it!
It was a lot of fun. I cut the pieces, and she did the sewing. We then laid out the blocks on the floor and decided how we were going to lay them out. I left Oregon with 2 quilt tops completed!
My aunt has been quilting for awhile, so I gave them to her and she had her local machine quilter finish the quilting for me. She also sewed the bindings on for me, as I had no idea what I had gotten myself into!
Well, I was hooked. My mom bought me a sewing machine for my birthday that year, and the rest is history. I had become tired of scrapbooking, and wasn't doing theatre anymore, so I needed a new creative outlet. Well....I think I have found it!
(photos coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment