Sunday, January 10, 2010

Green and Purple X-Block Lap Quilt



I made this lap quilt for a friend of mine. I have had the X-Blocks template for sometime now and have wanted to use it for a quilt. When I picked out these colors to go with my friend's living room, I decided this would be the perfect combination to test out the X-Block template.

It was really easy! It is basically 2 different 9-patch blocks (6" each) that, when you cut the edges using the X-Block template tool, you get a slightly diagonal looking block. To make it more complex, I created a lattice work of the 2 purples with them interweaving with one another, using the bright lime green as the background.

Originally I was going to use the polka-dot material for the outer border, but it muted the entire quilt and took away from the interior design, so I included a fabric with some white and brown to break it up and create a more contemporary feel to it.

I am really happy with how this one turned out! It is some of the best cutting and matching of corners I have done to date.

The final quilting was done by someone else using a "bubble meandering" pattern.

I haven't finished hand-sewing the binding on yet, but couldn't wait to post my first quilt of the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment